Welcome to Pixalo, a totally free site dedicated to the Photography Enthusiast.
Our aim is to help you get the most from your photography. We offer free registration with free gallery space to every registered member, free community forums, friendly challenges and competitions! Learn more
Welcome to the Pixalo articles page
Here you can find our complete listing of photography articles
Pixalo is proud to offer articles, guides and tutorials on many photography related topics. For the moment these are not categorised and you will find beginner and advanced topics mingled in together along with image editing, rule of thirds and camera techniques. As time allows we will make this section much more structured but for now finding your way through it unorganised might just land you on an article of interest, and could teach you something that you did not know.
This resource is free and will constantly be increased and expanded with time. If you like any of these articles or wish to leave a comment (good or bad) please do so in our community forums. We are also open to receiving articles from third parties or suggestions of future subjects that you would like to see covered here.
Finally you are free to link to the information in this section but all content remains copyright Pixalo and should not be reproduced, copied (in whole or part) without our express written permission
Submitted by Rob Barron
Rob Barron is a teacher and photographer. In his spare time he also shares his extensive Photoshop knowledge at teaching classes and is seen regularly throughout the Pixalo Community Forums imparting his knowledge to our members.
In this latest tutorial he guides us through converting colour images to mono (black and white) using the LAB mode within Photoshop. Complete with screen grabs and step by step instructions Rob makes this often difficult to understand process easy to follow for everyone.
Never one to rest on his lorals, off the back of his Converting to mono using LAB mode tutorial Rob Barron has created and submitted a detailed step by step guide to Using the curves tool. You can find the article at the link below
And to prove me right again, within a few hours Rob has managed to add yet another useful article. This time Making selections in Photoshop is an essential step by step guide on probably one of the most asked about techniques. You can find the article at the link below
Useful articles for Photographers
Written by Pixalo Crew and members, these articles contain information that all photographers should know and are not camera or software specific.
- A Day in the Life of a Professional Photographer
- The basics of getting sharp photos everytime
- Correctly embedding file Information in to photos - For publications
- Submitting your photos to newspapers & publications
- Correctly submitting your photos to Alamy - For image bank income
- The Rule of thirds
- 10 tips for digital beginners
- A-Z glossary of photographic terms
- Add your name to the Exif on digital cameras
- Photography Tips and Tricks - a comprehensive list
- Effective focal lengths for digital cameras with various crop factors
Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro Tutorials for Photographers
Basic and advanced techniques
Written by Pixalo Crew and members, these articles guide you through the various stages of each process using step by step instructions and images for guidance.
- Perfect skin everytime using Photoshop - the quick way
- Printing from Photoshop - the correct way
- Using the automated picture package in Photoshop
- Converting colour photos to black and white using Photoshop
- Adding a simple border to a photograph using Photoshop
- Blending two photos together using Paint Shop Pro