View Single Post
Old 23-07-2008, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
Rob Barron
Loves the place

Rob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to all
Rob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to allRob Barron is a name known to all

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Is Samsung a serious player with the GX-20

I don't agree that the Pentax is in the same class as Nikon and Canon, not by a long shot. The processing in their cameras isn't as accurate and the cameras themselves are for people with midget hands!

Returning to Samsung, I don't think they are even close to one of the big boys and I think they will probably go backwards over the next few years. The Korean economy is really struggling at the moment (yes I know the global economy is bad but it still differes country to country) and Samsung's reputation is not improving.

A few years ago they really were getting a good name for themselves with their TVs and video recorders (both tape and DVD) but some high profile problems with the longevity of their products has dented that reputation. I teach a lot of Korean students and 5 years ago they would be really angry if you uttered a single word against their beloved Samsung. Now I am noticing that they too are starting to grumble. They used to all have Samsung mobile phones but now they are buying Nokias and things.

Koreans are a fiercely patriotic bunch so would normally always buy their own products (something we Brits could do with learning from I guess!) so to see them being negative about their own companies is something unusual to say the least. Samsung is the biggest electronics manufacturer in their country by a very long way and employs a huge number of people but they are starting to cut back on staffing levels due to the economic problems.

Does this mean they have less money to invest in all important R & D? They have always had a reputation for not doing a whole lot of development themselves but buying electronics on a huge scale from other companies that have superceded them with newer products and so it is often older technology wrapped up in a fancy case.

I think there is a very long way to go before the mass-marketers like Sony and others are embraced by serious photography enthusiasts on a large scale. Not to say it won't happen but they'll need to be highly innovative, have quality products (not doing badly there) and have very good reliability as well as both attractive pricing and good marketing.

Cheers,
Rob

I love being a photographer: it's the only job where you can legally shoot people and cut their heads off
Rob Barron is offline   Reply With Quote