View Single Post
Old 23-08-2009, 08:49   #3 (permalink)
Silver Dragon
Forum Regular

Silver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSilver Dragon has a spectacular aura about

Image edit - ASK
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Question about saving raws to jpegs and size requirements

Hello Sandra, also

Saving photo's.... I have opted for a separate drive for all my photo stuff... I keep nothing but photographs on there, all "organized" in separate folders so I know what is where...

If you go for the external USB variety, these can be handy if you wish to "show" your stuff on someone elses computer as well.

You could go for a "Dual Layer" DVD to give you more space on DVD, they are not as expensive as you think these days, I just picked one up for 30:00 quid (Sterling), and the disks are not that much more expensive....

Reducing quality by going for a smaller file size...
I would vote that as a non-option....
I shoot in RAW, as you do, to give me a better file to edit, and store in RAW, in case I ever wish to go back to that file. I would not opt to compress in any way that file, as disk space is cheep....

I have about just over one terabyte file space here, on various drives, and yes, though the initial setup of that filespace in drives was expensive, compared to the number of DVD's and CD's I would need to store all that on, its comparable in price, so not that outlandish as a consideration.....
Do a comparison of a "Spindle" of say 25dvd's against a hard drive, and the hard drive can work out cheaper per gigabyte, as the price of them has shot down recently.

Edit... forgot to add, I have never burnt a "Coaster" transferring info from memory card to hard drive either.....
("Coaster"... the results you get when the burn process fails for some reason, and you get a useless disc..)
I have, however, stored on DVD, the drive used to burn it on broke, replaced with new, and found the new drive didnt recognise the old dvd's.... damn annoying....

Last edited by Silver Dragon; 23-08-2009 at 08:56. Reason: Additional info.
Silver Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote