View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53   #4 (permalink)
dabhand16
Pixalo Crew

dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: need advice on studio flash lights.

If you are going to be using a small studio with the dimensions that you give I think that 200 watts will be adequate and 300watts very adequate. You don't say how high the ceiling is. To do people that are standing you really need at least 10 feet. At my club we have two 300 and two 500 watt iLux lights (two sets, one of each) and they are rarely used at more than power level 4 out of 6 - and usually lower. They also use the Bowens S bayonet and have air damped stands and power adjustment of 1/10 of a stop.

I find that standard reflectors are good for lighting backdrops and barn doors are useful to use with them too.

You have hit the biggest snag with speedlights other than the cost. I have an SB900 and 2 SB 800s and although they do have a modelling facility in practice it chews up batteries and heats the lights up too. I have radio triggers for these but mostly use a flash controller that I reviewed here.

I also reviewed the iLux lights here.

We were unlucky to have had some issues with our lights that was down the the manufacturer using inferior components, but the after sales service was exemplary and the latest units are of a different design and made by a different manufacturer.