View Single Post
Old 23-11-2015, 23:16   #2 (permalink)
grease spot
Pixalo Crew

grease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of light
grease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of lightgrease spot is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: If You go down to the woods any day.....

Fun set Graham. But my only comment is that the D800 is capable of a lot more latitude in the exposure and some of the detail has been lost due to over-exposure - histogram goes off the scale to the right, while to the left the dark tones are missing. I have found that you can lower the exposure by a stop or 2 in woodland scenes, without losing detail in the shadows, which in itself is not unusual.

But another influence that causes unexpected overexposure, is the metering when using matrix metering and portrait view (not sure what you've used here as I can't read the EXIF data).

My findings with the D800 are that it tends to overexpose, sometimes quite a lot with wide angle lenses, when in portrait view - my guess is that the camera has only been calibrated (by Nikon - no facility for users ) to matrix meter in landscape, and when presented with a portrait it assumes that the [bright] sky is still along the long edge. If you are taking shots in portrait view you can do one of 2 things: either meter in matrix mode using landscape view, and then use that meter reading to take the photograph in portrait view, or use centre weighted, or possibly spot metering. This doesn't seem to be quite the same problem for my D300s.