Thread: Nikon jpegs
View Single Post
Old 30-08-2017, 22:52   #11 (permalink)
Dave Canon
Forum Regular

Dave Canon is just really nice
Dave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really nice
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Nikon jpegs

Whether or not you like or use LR may depend very much on the types of file you are processing, the volume of images and the need for a comprehensive catalogue. I teach LR at my club but it is not necessarily a good solution for those who do not use Raw, the volume of images are relatively low or searches rare.

As an amateur the volume of images I produce are only a few thousand per year but my images are in two LR catalogues each just over 25,000 images. I may need to find say images on the topic of sport, photographed in Gloucestershire, 4* rating or above, and captured after Jan 2016. I can select these in a fraction of a second and this is one of the strengths of the LR catalogue. It is also excellent for processing Raw files and has more features than most (probably all) other Raw editors. I have tried other solutions including DX0 and ON1. I found that DX0 appears to insist on deciding the initial settings and I can believe that some may see this as a great advantage. However, I want to be in control and edit myself; I also found DX0 made some poor decisions on initial settings. This was with an earlier version so it may have improved. I found ON1 a little clumsy and lacking in some of the features found in LR.

I am actually pleased that there are some real competitors to LR now as this may keep Adobe's prices down. LR is the most popular editor used by our camera club members. However, I find that few such amateurs have the self discipline to use the catalogue very effectively though I imagine most professionals would because time saved is money.

http://www.image001.co.uk
Dave Canon is offline   Reply With Quote