View Single Post
Old 24-09-2017, 20:13   #6 (permalink)
Dave Canon
Forum Regular

Dave Canon is just really nice
Dave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really niceDave Canon is just really nice
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon 24 / 105 L IS Mk 2 test

Charles, I did move from a 5D2 so had more to gain. While I was not particularly interested in the additional pixels (and I do print at near A3), I have found it to be advantageous. I do not have a lens longer than 200mm (I do have a 1.4x extender) and tend to photograph most subjects. I have found images which were too far away and I would have deleted in the past but can now crop and use.

However, the real reasons for this upgrade was increased dynamic range, faster frame rate, GPS, WiFi and much enhanced focusing.

I have already much benefited from the increased DR a and frame rate. I use WiFi to control from my tablet particularly for macro (I am beyond crawling on the ground now) and the GPS is not necessary but a luxury. I have to admit that I have not fully explored the focusing as I always used just the centre spot with the 5D2. I think it is probably similar to the 5D3. I have had the odd error when using it more automated so have much to learn. I did try the face recognition last week and it does work well. I am trying to find time to study an article on the focussing written by a club member which should help.

I think the main benefit for me has been the increased DR and low light performance. I took some low light shots recently that would have seriously challenged the 5D2. For landscapes in sunlight, I used to take three exposures for HDR routinely and have more or less stopped this as I find a single exposure is sufficient.

Dave

http://www.image001.co.uk
Dave Canon is offline   Reply With Quote