Pixalo Photography Community

Go Back   Pixalo Photography Community > Photography Forums > Cameras, Lenses and Accessories

Cameras, Lenses and Accessories: Discuss Canon Compact S5...I am attracted to the Canon S5 mainly because it has image stabilisation and a 12x zoom going up to ...
Welcome to the Pixalo Photography Community. As a Guest you are free to browse the site, but see what extras you get as a Member here.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Posts: 619
John F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Canon Compact S5

I am attracted to the Canon S5 mainly because it has image stabilisation and a 12x zoom going up to 400+ mm. At the same time I am very suspicious of a 12x zoom. Has anyone any experience with this lens and would it be suitable for bird photography? I wouldn't expect it to replace my 100/400 mm f4.5/5.6 l IS but it might be useful for times when I don't wish to lug the latter around.

John.
John F is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 23:09   #2 (permalink)
Pixalo Crew
 
dabhand16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dunstable Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 30,269
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

I know nothing about this camera, but I am suspicious about any lens that goes over 4 x zoom on the grounds of quality.

However, it may well be that my prejudices are completely unfounded as they are based on ancient technology that modern techniques might have overcome.

For a compact I'd be looking at the Canon Powershot G7.
dabhand16 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 13:20   #3 (permalink)
Loves the place
 
Boofers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 40 miles south of St. Louis
Posts: 6,668
Boofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the rough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

I have a cheaper Olympus that goes 10x and the pictures don't always come out and have alittle noise, it has the sensor stab--, my friend has the canon model S3 with the 12x and his pictures come out better then mine, and from what I have seen on my computer, a lot less noise if any. He has sent me pictures taken of birds in flight from his fishing boat that are pretty good. Not as good as my 100-400 IS, but pretty good for what it is, a small fairly sharp picture takeing camera that feels pretty good in the hand. The only draw back is the lens cap. bad design. Falls off. Hopefully they have addressed that problem.

Last edited by Boofers; 13-07-2007 at 13:26.
Boofers is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 18:44   #4 (permalink)
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Posts: 619
John F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

Your thoughts are the same as mine except for the G7 and that is only because I already have the Powershot A640. This with its 4x zoom gives excellent results but I would like the 12x zoom if modern technology can deliver the goods. Thank you for your comments.

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabhand16 View Post
I know nothing about this camera, but I am suspicious about any lens that goes over 4 x zoom on the grounds of quality.

However, it may well be that my prejudices are completely unfounded as they are based on ancient technology that modern techniques might have overcome.

For a compact I'd be looking at the Canon Powershot G7.
John F is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 18:48   #5 (permalink)
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Posts: 619
John F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

Thank you for your comments. I just wonder what size pictures your friend showed you, or were they the ones you viewed on your computer?

John.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofers View Post
I have a cheaper Olympus that goes 10x and the pictures don't always come out and have alittle noise, it has the sensor stab--, my friend has the canon model S3 with the 12x and his pictures come out better then mine, and from what I have seen on my computer, a lot less noise if any. He has sent me pictures taken of birds in flight from his fishing boat that are pretty good. Not as good as my 100-400 IS, but pretty good for what it is, a small fairly sharp picture takeing camera that feels pretty good in the hand. The only draw back is the lens cap. bad design. Falls off. Hopefully they have addressed that problem.
John F is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 03:54   #6 (permalink)
Loves the place
 
Boofers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 40 miles south of St. Louis
Posts: 6,668
Boofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the roughBoofers is a jewel in the rough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

I have viewed about 150 of his photo's, we work in the same area. S3 is a 6 mega pixel camera. I have viewed his photo's on three computers, two at work and mine at home where I did some work on a white bird at a lake. On that all I did was seperate the bird from the background by making the background darker. The bird about 150 feet away had sharp long tail feathers, apart of the herron family I believe. Their was no noticible noise in the picture as I had it blown up to mask. His photo's where about 2mg or less, and I remember his camera only shot jpeg's. Last week we viewed on a projection screen some of his pictures taken at 12X of hornets in an old pipe taken at about 50 feet and I was impressed with the detail on the little buggers. We also bought the S1 3 mega pixel years ago for my daughter inlaw and it was very impressive and had very sharp pictures that I printed. I like the camera and would have bought it if it weren't for the fact that it dosen't shoot RAW. I ordered and recieved the leica d-lux 3 because it shoots raw. There is always things like pros and cons written about camera's, you get what you buy, the leica was a pleasent surprise. The sensor stabilisation works, I would perfer the optical stabilisation such as the S5.
Boofers is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 08:47   #7 (permalink)
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Posts: 619
John F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

Thank you for the details which I will weigh on the +ve side. The Leica wouldn't be suitable for me because I am looking for that 420 mm focal length. Apart from that I am more than happy with the A640.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofers View Post
I have viewed about 150 of his photo's, we work in the same area. S3 is a 6 mega pixel camera. I have viewed his photo's on three computers, two at work and mine at home where I did some work on a white bird at a lake. On that all I did was seperate the bird from the background by making the background darker. The bird about 150 feet away had sharp long tail feathers, apart of the herron family I believe. Their was no noticible noise in the picture as I had it blown up to mask. His photo's where about 2mg or less, and I remember his camera only shot jpeg's. Last week we viewed on a projection screen some of his pictures taken at 12X of hornets in an old pipe taken at about 50 feet and I was impressed with the detail on the little buggers. We also bought the S1 3 mega pixel years ago for my daughter inlaw and it was very impressive and had very sharp pictures that I printed. I like the camera and would have bought it if it weren't for the fact that it dosen't shoot RAW. I ordered and recieved the leica d-lux 3 because it shoots raw. There is always things like pros and cons written about camera's, you get what you buy, the leica was a pleasent surprise. The sensor stabilisation works, I would perfer the optical stabilisation such as the S5.

Last edited by John F; 14-07-2007 at 12:52.
John F is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 23:27   #8 (permalink)
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Posts: 619
John F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enoughJohn F will become famous soon enough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: Canon Compact S5

Thank you everyone for your replies. I finally saw some images. They were ok but not as good as I was hoping for so I will stay with my existing equipment and struggle with the weight.
John F is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compact help please Ali Which Camera Should I Buy? 5 07-08-2007 12:35
Sony Wi-Fi compact rivals Nikon Canon and Kodak Pixalo News 0 09-03-2007 07:11
Leica's new compact. stepheno News 0 18-11-2006 10:21
Which compact? silkstone Which Camera Should I Buy? 6 23-02-2005 16:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:42.


vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ReviewPost & PhotoPost vB3 Enhanced, Copyright 2003-2014 All Enthusiast, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright 2006 - 2017 Pixalo.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197