Pixalo Photography Community

Go Back   Pixalo Photography Community > Photography Forums > Cameras, Lenses and Accessories

Cameras, Lenses and Accessories: Discuss "Overlapping" of lenses.....I've heard a few people mention "overlapping" of lenses.. can someone explain to me what this means.. I have a ...
Welcome to the Pixalo Photography Community. As a Guest you are free to browse the site, but see what extras you get as a Member here.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Been here a while
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 288
Wannabe is on a distinguished roadWannabe is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
"Overlapping" of lenses..

I've heard a few people mention "overlapping" of lenses.. can someone explain to me what this means.. I have a Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3dg Macro.. so does this mean that a Sigma 28-200mm, and a 70-200mm would be more or less the same? Sorry for the stupid questions.. trying to figure all this out, and you guys know everything.. lol!!!

I have a 50mm, 28-300mm, and 18-135mm, so would a 28mm be different than my 28-300mm?

Thanks!!
Wannabe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 22:35   #2 (permalink)
Loves the place
 
JMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4,945
JMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of light
JMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Overlapping just means that where one focal length ends on one lens, another lens starts at a focal length before that.
That's confusing, so here's an example:

Your 18-135 and your 28-300 overlap, because 135 is longer than 28.
The ideal is to have zooms that stop right after each other (like my two zooms: 18-70, 70-300, but in fact I was just lucky with my choices and needs, it wasn't really planned )


Hope that helps a bit
JMitchell is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 22:59   #3 (permalink)
Getting Comfy
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 174
ChrisRabior will become famous soon enoughChrisRabior will become famous soon enoughChrisRabior will become famous soon enoughChrisRabior will become famous soon enoughChrisRabior will become famous soon enoughChrisRabior will become famous soon enoughChrisRabior will become famous soon enough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

I was told that overlapping is done because a zoom lens is going to suffer quality at the extreme wide and telephoto of it's range. 50mm on a 28-70 should be sharper than 18-50 or 50-150 lens. So, instead of relying on your 18-50 and 50-150 to cover the 50mm mark, you'd use the 28-70.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I can see the argument in it. It's the same notion as lenses having a sweet spot for aperture (f/2.8 lenses are best stopped down to f/3.5 or f/4, etc).

The other practical reason is just having options for full coverage. Your mention of 18-70 and 70-300 covers the 18-300 range, but isn't practical if you want to shoot 50-150 unless you have two camera bodies. You'd have to keep swapping lenses. Overlapping lets you pick and choose exactly the range you need, without the likelihood of needing to swap lenses.
__________________
Canon EOS 30D & 40D | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
EF 28-135mm IS | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | SIGMA 18-50mm f/2.8 DC Macro | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di LD | 135mm f/2.8
Manfrotto 3021BPRO w/ 804RC2 pan/tilt head | Manfrotto 697B w/ 3229 head
Check out my website www.ChrisRabior.com or my collection on Alamy
ChrisRabior is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 03:52   #4 (permalink)
Been here a while
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 288
Wannabe is on a distinguished roadWannabe is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Thanks very much!! Ok.. so it wouldn't make sense to buy any more lenses within the feilds that I already have then?
Wannabe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 07:45   #5 (permalink)
AQ
Feet under the table
 
AQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 2,031
AQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura about

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Not really unless you have a special reason to get one. For example you want a compact mid range zoom as a walk about or travel lens. Or you want a fixed prime lens that may give you more image quality for a specify purpose. Basically you really need a specific reason to buy a lens other than "Oh I fancy that" , which I think a lot of photographers suffer from.
AQ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Been here a while
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 288
Wannabe is on a distinguished roadWannabe is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraquinone View Post
Not really unless you have a special reason to get one. For example you want a compact mid range zoom as a walk about or travel lens. Or you want a fixed prime lens that may give you more image quality for a specify purpose. Basically you really need a specific reason to buy a lens other than "Oh I fancy that" , which I think a lot of photographers suffer from.

Ok.. I think I may be suffering from this..

Thanks!
Wannabe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 16:51   #7 (permalink)
Jolly nice person
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Posts: 7,021
Angela is a jewel in the rough
Angela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the rough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraquinone View Post
Basically you really need a specific reason to buy a lens other than "Oh I fancy that" , which I think a lot of photographers suffer from.
Good grief.....that is such a male comment!
Angela is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
Loves the place
 
JMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4,945
JMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of light
JMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Says the mod with the 70-300 VR How long have you had that D70? Oh yeah, 5 months!!!!!

Last edited by JMitchell; 29-02-2008 at 17:13.
JMitchell is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 18:06   #9 (permalink)
Jolly nice person
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Posts: 7,021
Angela is a jewel in the rough
Angela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the rough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Says the mod with the 70-300 VR How long have you had that D70? Oh yeah, 5 months!!!!!
And!? Your point is!?
Angela is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 18:13   #10 (permalink)
Loves the place
 
JMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4,945
JMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of light
JMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of lightJMitchell is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Oh the avoidance game is it? You know what I mean....
JMitchell is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 18:22   #11 (permalink)
Jolly nice person
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Posts: 7,021
Angela is a jewel in the rough
Angela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the roughAngela is a jewel in the rough

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

No not at all. That was my point exactly. I didn't need a reason to buy that lens, I fancied it. But then that's because I am woman. We don't need a specific reason to buy something, other than we fancy it!! It's a very male thing to need to have a specific reason to buy something.....excepting Dave of course, who's obviously in touch with his feminine side!

Apologies to Wannabe for hijacking her very sensible thread!
Angela is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 19:15   #12 (permalink)
Growing roots
 
fionaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 10,528
fionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of light
fionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of lightfionaB is a glorious beacon of light

Image edit - ASK
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

im in total agreement Angela............... ( havent a clue what u are on about but we girls MUST stick together!)
fionaB is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 20:16   #13 (permalink)
AQ
Feet under the table
 
AQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 2,031
AQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura aboutAQ has a spectacular aura about

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
Good grief.....that is such a male comment!
So you do have a sensitive spot despite the impression from your avtar
AQ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 21:41   #14 (permalink)
Been here a while
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 288
Wannabe is on a distinguished roadWannabe is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: "Overlapping" of lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
No not at all. That was my point exactly. I didn't need a reason to buy that lens, I fancied it. But then that's because I am woman. We don't need a specific reason to buy something, other than we fancy it!! It's a very male thing to need to have a specific reason to buy something.....excepting Dave of course, who's obviously in touch with his feminine side!

Apologies to Wannabe for hijacking her very sensible thread!

No apologies needed.. I much prefer your point of view.. ROTFL!
Wannabe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Fisherrow Again" or "Stuck in the Mud" water Photos for fun 4 17-01-2008 20:16
Work flow for excellent Photo ("coffee table") Book? duncanedit General photography questions and answers 0 29-04-2007 16:22
"Faster" lenses? Trashcan Cameras, Lenses and Accessories 8 30-03-2007 06:08
WARNING - Resizing Image in "one go" decreases PQ vs "staged" approach Dave Photo Manipulation 6 12-10-2005 12:52


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:39.


vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ReviewPost & PhotoPost vB3 Enhanced, Copyright 2003-2014 All Enthusiast, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright 2006 - 2017 Pixalo.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196