Pixalo Photography Community

Go Back   Pixalo Photography Community > Photography Forums > General photography questions and answers

General photography questions and answers: Discuss How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?...Hi guys, I am new to photography. I am actually more of a paper designer person. However, I wanted to ...
Welcome to the Pixalo Photography Community. As a Guest you are free to browse the site, but see what extras you get as a Member here.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 14:50   #1 (permalink)
New here
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
janeah is on a distinguished roadjaneah is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Hi guys, I am new to photography. I am actually more of a paper designer person. However, I wanted to do something fun and out of my expertise. So now , I am taking pictures for my scrapbooks which are published for my prospects. I am having a hard time taking the picture. The lighting is good but it seemed to me that the subject has not been captured in his or her best angle. As a photographer how do I know a subject's good angle for a shot? Any thoughts about this?

Thanks!!!
janeah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
Pixalo Crew
 
dabhand16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dunstable Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 30,272
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Some people have a natural aptitude for seeing the best way to present a subject and will find angles that just work so well.

The rules of composition are useful for beginners, but can (and maybe should) be broken in some circumstances to improve impact or make a statement.

Perhaps there is a course that you could sign up for or a local club where you can get some practical help. Books can also be useful, but there is no substitute for practice. Looking at other peoples images will also help, but only if you look further than the picture and try to see where the photographer was to take the shot.
__________________
Graham
dabhand16 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:29   #3 (permalink)
Forum Regular
 
swalsh58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington
Posts: 525
swalsh58 is on a distinguished roadswalsh58 is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

It alld epends what your taking pictures of, where, and what light is available. Its impossible to give you a defintive answer for a question like this. Try capturing an image of what you want in your scrapbook, then posting it on here. Im sure someone will advise you then on how it can be improved
swalsh58 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 20:46   #4 (permalink)
Pixalo Crew
 
Whipspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northamptonshire
Posts: 3,134
Whipspeed is a jewel in the rough
Whipspeed is a jewel in the roughWhipspeed is a jewel in the rough

No Image editing
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Above comment is spot on, it all depends on the subject & there is no definitive answer. Pop something up on here and see what people think.
Whipspeed is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 09:28   #5 (permalink)
Been here a while
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near Guildford, Surrey
Posts: 486
PINNACLE is on a distinguished roadPINNACLE is on a distinguished roadPINNACLE is on a distinguished road

Image edit - ASK
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Dabhand16 mentions rules for beginners and I remember so well looking up "the rule of thirds" on the net after a comment on a photo I had posted once. It is a great starting place but not for everything. Most editing program's have a grid in crop that shows it so you might be able to go over some old work and see how it works.

Your post says his or her best angle so I will assume you are taking pictures of people. You really do want you subject off centre unless for passport photos, if they are strangers ask them what they think there best side is and start there but take photos of both. Taking digital picture is free once you have the gear so snap away you will soon develope skill and figure out what "you" like.

I am also a great believer of getting at the same height as the subject, low for animals and small people and always focus on an eye then recompose.

I also agree with the others and would say post some photos and ask for c&c, look and learn. I joined a photography club this year and have learnt so much from the judges comments on everyone's photos.
PINNACLE is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:22   #6 (permalink)
New here
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
janeah is on a distinguished roadjaneah is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabhand16 View Post
Some people have a natural aptitude for seeing the best way to present a subject and will find angles that just work so well.

The rules of composition are useful for beginners, but can (and maybe should) be broken in some circumstances to improve impact or make a statement.

Perhaps there is a course that you could sign up for or a local club where you can get some practical help. Books can also be useful, but there is no substitute for practice. Looking at other peoples images will also help, but only if you look further than the picture and try to see where the photographer was to take the shot.
Thanks Graham!
I actually am looking for great resources about photography right now. I thought this is just easy, but it seemed harder than my scrapbooking layouts. LOL I can't even dare to post any of my taken pictures because it looks not good to me. Anyway, the expert photographer always starts on being a newbie right?
janeah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:25   #7 (permalink)
New here
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
janeah is on a distinguished roadjaneah is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabhand16 View Post
Some people have a natural aptitude for seeing the best way to present a subject and will find angles that just work so well.

The rules of composition are useful for beginners, but can (and maybe should) be broken in some circumstances to improve impact or make a statement.

Perhaps there is a course that you could sign up for or a local club where you can get some practical help. Books can also be useful, but there is no substitute for practice. Looking at other peoples images will also help, but only if you look further than the picture and try to see where the photographer was to take the shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalsh58 View Post
It alld epends what your taking pictures of, where, and what light is available. Its impossible to give you a defintive answer for a question like this. Try capturing an image of what you want in your scrapbook, then posting it on here. Im sure someone will advise you then on how it can be improved
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider that but I think as of the moment I'll make some changes by myself and when I feel satisfied with my work then I'll post it.
janeah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:27   #8 (permalink)
New here
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
janeah is on a distinguished roadjaneah is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINNACLE View Post
Dabhand16 mentions rules for beginners and I remember so well looking up "the rule of thirds" on the net after a comment on a photo I had posted once. It is a great starting place but not for everything. Most editing program's have a grid in crop that shows it so you might be able to go over some old work and see how it works.

Your post says his or her best angle so I will assume you are taking pictures of people. You really do want you subject off centre unless for passport photos, if they are strangers ask them what they think there best side is and start there but take photos of both. Taking digital picture is free once you have the gear so snap away you will soon develope skill and figure out what "you" like.

I am also a great believer of getting at the same height as the subject, low for animals and small people and always focus on an eye then recompose.

I also agree with the others and would say post some photos and ask for c&c, look and learn. I joined a photography club this year and have learnt so much from the judges comments on everyone's photos.
PINNACLE! This is great! I actually learned a lot from your response. Yes, yes, I am, taking pictures of people. My friend asked me to join a photography club, I think I might give it a try.
janeah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:24   #9 (permalink)
Pixalo Crew
 
dabhand16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dunstable Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 30,272
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light
dabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of lightdabhand16 is a glorious beacon of light

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeah View Post
I can't even dare to post any of my taken pictures because it looks not good to me. Anyway, the expert photographer always starts on being a newbie right?
Right

One thing that I believe that is almost unique to Pixalo is that nobody will put you down or be disdainful or harsh. The criticism here is sympathetic and helpful. Something we are proud of.
dabhand16 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:58   #10 (permalink)
Been here a while
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near Guildford, Surrey
Posts: 486
PINNACLE is on a distinguished roadPINNACLE is on a distinguished roadPINNACLE is on a distinguished road

Image edit - ASK
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabhand16 View Post
Right

One thing that I believe that is almost unique to Pixalo is that nobody will put you down or be disdainful or harsh. The criticism here is sympathetic and helpful. Something we are proud of.
I agree this is a good forum for that and if you are a newbie mention it and also mention you would like some tips on how to improve if you think you do. Most if not all the regulars here have commented on and helped me with my photography, this is why I keep coming back.
PINNACLE is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43   #11 (permalink)
New here
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Masterton, New Zealand
Posts: 7
kenny123 is on a distinguished roadkenny123 is on a distinguished road

Image editing O.K.
User's Gallery
Users Camera Equipment List
Re: How to Get the Best Angle for a Photo?

Here's what I use to determine composition:

. What is the main subject of my image?

- The most prominent object, theme or topic

2. How do I emphasise the main subject?

- Isolate the subject
- Use motion blur (slow shutter speed)
- Use fast shutter speed to freeze motion
- Use selective focusing
- Subject placement within frame
- Get close and fill frame with subject

3. What do I leave out of my image?

- All things that are irrelevant to the main subject
- All things that detract from the main subject
- Look out for cluttered foregrounds and backgrounds
- Watch for distractions: trees growing out of people’s heads;
- Rivers and fences running through ears, etc.,

For angles try "working the subject"


Instead of just taking the one picture from the angle you first saw it, try “Working the subject”, that is, cover the subject from as many angles as you can, to get the best from each photo opportunity. Here’s a checklist:
-From the front
-From behind
-From the left
-From the right
-From up close
-From far away
-From above
-From below
-Capture detail
-Unusual angles
-Into the light
-Include foreground

Regards, Ken
kenny123 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No need for the wide angle Markulous Landscape Photography 4 14-04-2011 08:16
Wide-angle Suggestions Jasondh Cameras, Lenses and Accessories 10 08-09-2010 23:30
Which Wide angle? liljj323 Cameras, Lenses and Accessories 9 25-08-2007 14:46
Wide Angle nicklovick Photos for fun 4 22-05-2007 09:35
dangerous angle fionaB Photo Critique 12 27-04-2007 18:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12.


vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ReviewPost & PhotoPost vB3 Enhanced, Copyright 2003-2014 All Enthusiast, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Pixalo.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197