Date of last review
Fri March 14, 2008
100% of reviewers
The D300 defines a new class of compact professional SLR, incorporating groundbreaking technologies and performance of the D3 into a compact DX format body. The 12.3 megapixel CMOS sensor features a self-cleaning dust removal unit and delivers resolution suitable for commercial and stock photography. The EXPEED image processing engine supports a class-leading 6fps at up to 3200 ISO, and delivers superb tonal gradation. Its advanced Scene Recognition System produces superior exposures and is complimented by Nikon’s next-generation 51-point AF system, which offers broad coverage and high sensitivity in low light. Selectable Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing, saving time in post-production, and the high definition 3-inch LCD screen supports two Live View modes plus a HDMI video output. Responsive, rugged and light, the D300 offers new levels of performance for pros on a budget.
Comparison vs D200 here :-
• 12.3 megapixel DX format CMOS image sensor . Built-in self-cleaning sensor unit minimizes the effect of dust.
• 6fps continuous shooting (8fps when shooting with the optional MB-D300 battery pack).
• ISO 200-3200 : extendable up to ISO 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent).
• EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
• Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply-defined images.
• Multi-CAM3500DX 51-point AF system . Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
• Quick response with approx 0.13 second power-up and 45 millisecond shutter release time lag.
• Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling customization of image parameters before capture, and offer complete control over sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
• 920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170- degree viewing angle.
• Live View with Autofocus lets you compose images using the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
• Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
• Durable, magnesium alloy body : water and dust resistant.
• Improved battery performance : sequential power supply between camera’s EN-EL3 rechargeable lithium-ion battery and the (optional) Multi-Power Battery Pack. HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
• Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
• Lightweight Magnesium alloy body .
Type of Camera
Single-lens reflex digital camera
CMOS sensor, 23.6 x 15.8 mm; total pixels: 13.1 million; Nikon DX format
Image Size (pixels)
4,288 x 2,848 [L], 3,216 x 2,136 [M], 2,144 x 1,424 [S]
Clean image sensor, image dust-off data acquisition (Capture NX required)
ISO 200 to 3200 in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV with additional settings of approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 1 EV (ISO 100 equivalent) under ISO 200 and approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 1 EV (ISO 6400 equivalent) over ISO 3200
Compliant with DCF 2.0, DPOF and Exif 2.21
NEF 12-bit or 14-bit (uncompressed, lossless compressed or compressed RAW)
JPEG: JPEG baseline-compliant
CompactFlash (CF) Card (Type I and II, UDMA compliant), Microdrive
1) Single frame [S] mode
2) Continuous low speed [CL] mode: 1 to 7 frames per second (*1)
3) Continuous high-speed [CH] mode: 8 frames per second (*1), 6 frames per second (*2)
4) Liveview [LV] mode
5) Self-timer mode
6) Mirror-up [Mup] mode
*1. When using AC Adaptor EH-5a/EH-5 or Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 with batteries other than Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e
*2. When using Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e
(When shooting in Continuous-servo AF (C), Shutter-Priority Auto [S] or Manual [M] exposure modes, at a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster with other settings at default)
Auto (TTL white balance with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor), seven manual modes with fine-tuning, color temperature setting, white balance bracketing possible (2 to 9 frames in increments 1~3)
Hand-held shooting mode, Tripod shooting mode
3-in., approx. 920,000-dot (VGA), 170-degree wide viewing angle, 100% frame coverage, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
1) Full frame 2) Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments) 3) Zoom 4) Slideshow 5) RGB histogram indication 6) Shooting data 7) Highlight point display 8) Auto image rotation
Card format, All photographs delete, Selected photographs delete
NTSC or PAL; simultaneous playback from both the video output and on the LCD monitor available
Supports HDMI version 1.3a; Type A connector is provided as HDMI output terminal; simultaneous playback from both the HDMI output terminal and on the LCD monitor not available
Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available with LCD monitor and multi-selector; stored in Exif header
Nikon F Mount with AF coupling and AF contacts
1) DX AF Nikkor: All functions possible
2) D-/G-type AF Nikkor (excluding IX Nikkor lenses): All functions possible (excluding PC Micro-Nikkor)
3) AF Nikkor other than D-/G-type (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions except 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
4) AI-P Nikkor: All functions except Autofocus, 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
5) Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data
Equivalent in 35mm  format is approx. 1.5 times lens focal length
SLR-type with fixed eye-level pentaprism; built-in diopter adjustment (-2.0 to +1.0 m-1)
19.5 mm (-1.0 m-1)
Type-B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark II with superimposed focus brackets and On-Demand grid lines
Viewfinder Frame Coverage
Approx. 100% (vertical and horizontal)
Approx. 0.94x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1
TTL phase detection, 51 focus points (15 cross-type sensors) by Nikon Multi-CAM 3500DX autofocus module; Detection -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F); AF fine adjustment possible
Focal plane contrast [in Liveview (Tripod) mode]
Single-servo AF (S);
continuous-servo AF (C);
predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status in continuous-servo AF
Single AF point can be selected from 51 or 11 focus points
Liveview (Tripod mode): Contrast AF on a desired point within entire frame
AF Area Mode
1) Single point AF
2) Dynamic Area AF [9 points, 21 points, 51 points, 51 points (3D-tracking)]
3) Automatic-area AF
Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Exposure Metering System
TTL full-aperture exposure metering using 1005-pixel RGB sensor
1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data; metering performed)
2) Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 6, 8, 10, or 13 mm dia. circle in center of frame or weighting based on average of entire frame (8 mm circle when non-CPU lens is used)
3) Spot: Meters approx. 3 mm dia. circle (about 2.0% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)
Exposure Metering Range
1) 0 to 20 EV (3D Color Matrix or center-weighted metering)
2) 2 to 20 EV (spot metering) (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20ºC)
Exposure Meter Coupling
Combined CPU and AI
1) Programmed Auto [P] with flexible program
2) Shutter-Priority Auto [S]
3) Aperture Priority Auto [A]
4) Manual [M]
±5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
Auto Exposure Lock
Detected exposure value locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Auto Exposure Bracketing
Exposure and/or flash bracketing (2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV)
Picture Control System
Four setting options: Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome; each option can be adjusted
Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal plane shutter, 1/8,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV, Bulb
X=1/250 s; flash synchronization at up to 1/320 s (FP) adjustable with Built-in Speedlight or optional Speedlight (will reduce GN)
1) TTL: TTL flash control by 1,005-pixel RGB sensor
Built-in Speedlight, SB-800, SB-600 or SB-400: i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL flash
2) AA (Auto Aperture-type) flash: Available with SB-800 used with CPU lens
3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 28, 27, and 22S
4) Range-priority manual flash; available with SB-800
Flash Sync Mode
1) Front-curtain Sync (normal)
2) Red-eye Reduction
3) Red-eye Reduction with Slow Sync
4) Slow Sync
5) Rear-curtain Sync
Manual pop-up with button release
(ISO 200, m): approx. 17 (manual 18)
(ISO 100 equivalent, m): approx. 12 (manual 13)
-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
ISO 518 Standard hot-shoe contact with safety lock provided
ISO 519 standard terminal
Creative Lighting System
With Speedlights such as SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200, supports Advanced Wireless Lighting, Auto FP High-Speed Sync, Flash Color Information Communication, modeling flash and FV lock
2 to 20 seconds duration
Depth of Field Preview
When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M mode) or value selected by camera (P and S mode)
Via 10-pin terminal or Wireless Transmitter WT-4 (optional)
NMEA 0183 (Ver. 2.01 and 3.01) interface standard supported with 9-pin D-sub cable (optional) and GPS Cable MC-35 (optional)
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 (optional) with one Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a, EN-EL4 or EN-EL3e or eight R6/AA-size alkaline (LR6), Ni-MH (HR6), lithium (FR6) batteries, or nickel-manganese ZR6 batteries, AC Adapter EH-5a (optional)
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
48 settings available
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 147 x 114 x 74 mm
Approx. 825 g without battery, memory card, body cap, or monitor cover
Temperature: 0-40°C, Humidity: under 85% (no condensation)
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, Quick Charger MH-18a, USB Cable UC-E4, Video Cable EG-D100, Strap AN-D300, LCD monitor cover BM-8, Body cap BF-1A, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Rubber Eyecup DK-23, Software Suite CD-ROM (Supplied Accessories may differ by country or area)
Main Optional Accessories
Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10, Wireless Transmitter WT-4, Magnifying Eyepiece DK-21M, AC Adapter EH-5a, Capture NX Software, Camera Control Pro 2
Compare Prices for Nikon D300 in USA & in UK
Nikon DSLR D300 12MP